Beet growers ‘devastated’ by tariff-free sugar cane extension
Wednesday, December 22, 2021
The government’s decision to extend its 260,000t tariff-free quota for raw cane sugar imports for another three years is “devastating news” for UK beet growers, the NFU has said. Michael Sly, chairman of NFU Sugar, said the extension would continue to allow imports of sugar produced to lower environmental standards in ways that would be illegal in the UK. The move, along with the complete liberalisation of sugar after eight years in the UK-Australia trade deal, could lead to the permanent decline of the UK sugar beet industry, he warned. Mr Sly said it was “incredibly concerning” that the government had claimed its decision to extend the sugar cane quota was based on evidence – yet none had been published. “Growers will be left to assume it is the same inconsistent and contradictory justification that was used when the quota was introduced a year ago,” he added.Click here to connect to the source of this storyClick here for more News and Views
As I browse the web researching various topics concerning the EU and UK sugar markets, I've been bookmarking interesting weblinks. Some of these are news clippings, some are links to official documents, and some are interesting data sources.